Copyright © St Patrick’s Church Patterdale 2018
Our Special Embroideries
The embroideries inside our Church are among the treasures of the Lake District. Three of them are by Ann Macbeth (and there is a copy of a fourth) and a further one, of similar age, by Joan Drew. The largest, The Good Shepherd, was finished in her studio in Patterdale in 1939 and was a gift to St Patrick's. The second work, The Nativity, of similar size, was started soon afterwards and is held in the collection of Glasgow Museums, with a reproduction in the Church.
A second embroidery, the Doves of Peace, is an exquisite panel on silk and a third piece is a large and rich Bowl of Flowers. There is also a Lenten altar frontal, lectern cover and other smaller pieces in rich purple velvet.
St Patrick's has housed these precious textiles, which are so much a part of the Dale, for more than seventy years and now, with a newly repaired roof and an interior with a fairly constant temperature and humidity level, they should be able to be displayed for future generations both local and ever increasingly from all countries of the world.